Pixel Cars
Welcome, Guest.

> Welcome to Pixel Car Art

Register to view rest of the forum Hello and welcome to Pixel Car Art. Like most other online communities you must Register to view the rest of the forum or post in our community. This is a simple, free process that does not require alot of information.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Help Topics.
11 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oggy's 86
Oggy
post Jun 12 2014, 05:41 AM
Post #181

Un-retired

Group: Members
Member No.: 58,899
Team:
Software Used: Gimp
Favourite Style: Scaled

God help me. Just spent $200 on supplies to install those fenders.

Did loadssssssssss of research to find the best way to do it. Ended up going with Lord Fusor, because they seem to be the only company that actually has a product designed to bond fiberglass panels to metal.

They also are the only one with a lifetime guarantee as long as their instructions are followed. Per the instructions, I also got 3M Dyna-Hair (filler with long fiberglass strands in it) to blend the edges and some really nice 3M Platinum Plus filler to make everything perfect. (Nothing but the absolute best products for this car).

Going to add some flex additive in the paint and everything when the time comes. I want no cracks.

Gotta pay to play

This post has been edited by Oggy: Jun 12 2014, 05:43 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kevin
post Jun 14 2014, 12:03 AM
Post #182

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 36,235
Team:
Software Used: Paint
Favourite Style: Both

I hate how when you're a kid with dreams you think you can buy a car and do this and that for cheap. But no even proper tools cost a s**t ton of money. My entire foundation on how I will build my car is now If it breaks replace it with an upgrade and don't buy cheap things.

but yea Im really interested in this whole set up you're doing because I plan to do the same. Are you going to bare metal bond it? (I hope so lol) Please keep this updated so I can see what kind of hell I'm in for next summer

This post has been edited by Kevin: Jun 14 2014, 12:04 AM

+Quote Post
Oggy
post Jun 14 2014, 02:55 AM
Post #183

Un-retired

Team:

QUOTE (Kevin @ Jun 14 2014, 12:03 AM) *
I hate how when you're a kid with dreams you think you can buy a car and do this and that for cheap. But no even proper tools cost a s**t ton of money. My entire foundation on how I will build my car is now If it breaks replace it with an upgrade and don't buy cheap things.

but yea Im really interested in this whole set up you're doing because I plan to do the same. Are you going to bare metal bond it? (I hope so lol) Please keep this updated so I can see what kind of hell I'm in for next summer

Yessir.

Using Lord Fusor 811. I need to strip the bonding area on the the quarters down to bare metal and clean both bonding surfaces super well, The add the bonding agent and clamp (going to need to use screws since it can't be clamped, then remove them after.)

If it were anything but an 86 I'd just rivet them on and be done with it, but I just think they look bad when there are riveted on an 86. The only time I think riveted overs on an 86 look good is when it is hard to see the rivets lol.

+Quote Post
nhra1625
post Jun 14 2014, 04:11 AM
Post #184

Competent Tuner

Member No.: 56,671
Team:

What you can do is rivet it on but counter sink the rivets so if for some reason the Lord Fusor busts(which I've had happen) they won't wall off. And fill the rivet holes so they still look rivetless. Ya feel me holmes?

+Quote Post
Oggy
post Jun 15 2014, 01:32 AM
Post #185

Un-retired

Team:

The lord Fusor really shouldn't fail, and if it does its warrantied. I'm done my research and a lot of the people how rivet first get cracking around the rivets and ghosting. I think of it as like 15-20 more little metal things I need to bond to the FRP that could all vibrate around and cause cracks. I've thought a lot about all these options lol

In other news... JUST BOUGHT AERO MIRRORS FROM JAPAN!! EC Works style by Winds Auto. Gonna tint the mirrors blue for extra street cools. can't wait.

+Quote Post
Kevin
post Jun 15 2014, 02:18 AM
Post #186

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Team:

dude you gotta stop making your 86 cooler than mine, I haven't had time this summer to catch up yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
Oggy
post Jun 24 2014, 11:51 AM
Post #187

Un-retired

Team:

Been all over the map with the car recently.

This past weekend I was in New Jersey for Formula D. Holy f**k what a good time. I'm still sunburnt as all hell but what a fantastic event that was.

I went to the qualifying day and got to see Will Parsons and Taka do their practice and qualifying runs (neither made it unfortunately), and talked to both Will and his father about his setup. Unfortunately I didn't get to chat with Taka, he was never around when I went by his booth. At least I got to check out his car up close.

So anyway I've been trying to think about what to do with my car. One thing I'd like to do is ditch the factory pedals and go for a wilwood setup. Dual brake master cylinders. No booster with that setup so it would be super clean and feel a lot better (not to mention be infinitely more adjustable) than the stock system with the booster just deleted. Once I find a welder dude I'll see if he can weld up the fire wall to do it, since honestly its not that expensive when you are planning on redoing the brake lines anyway.

The other big thing I was considering was an engine swap (I know I already have one).

My car has the T50 5-speed with a 4.7 rear end. The equates to like 5000rpm at 70mph on the highway... aka hell. So could get a 4.3 final drive or something, but that is boring. A W58 swap IMO is a hell of a lot of work for a bit better gearing... still a 5-speed. And the LEEN 6-speed swap is like $2000.

So this got me thinking... I could just do a Beams swap. Beams engines can be had for like $1200. They come with a 6-speed, more displacement, more power, titanium valve train, and another Yamaha head. The only major obstacle is finding someone to weld up the few parts that need welding (crossmember, sump, and tranny mount). The other stuff is easy.

I also am considering an F20, but they are a lot more expensive, and all the commercially available kits require fat subframe spacers which I don't want.

The dream swap would be a 2AR-FE, like Taka and Fredric. Talk about a bulletproof engine. 2.7L with the crank from a Sienna. 50lb engine block. The thing is awesome. I am yet to see a high comp N/A ITB build either, it's always turbo. But this will not happen unless the engine falls into my lap. Way too much fabrication with an engine that costs $3000. I have no idea what transmission I could even use. Maybe a Supra Getrag? I'd want something bulletproof.

So yeah that's my updateee. I'll post some pictures of my aero mirrors in a little bit to reward you for reading.

This post has been edited by Oggy: Jun 24 2014, 11:54 AM

+Quote Post
Kevin
post Jun 24 2014, 09:48 PM
Post #188

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Team:

The W58 would be the best bet for a better trans. But as for cost it seems that it would be your best bet. T3 makes some of the adapter plates for it but it'll take more than that. If you upgrade your trans I'll take your old one and drive shaft and we won't need to cut a bro deal cause I will have the cash haha

+Quote Post
Brandon
post Jun 29 2014, 04:29 AM
Post #189

Pixel Master

Member No.: 45,529
Team:

Woo!

Come to California next trip

This post has been edited by Brandon : Jun 29 2014, 04:30 AM

+Quote Post
EE8Kev
post Jun 29 2014, 04:57 AM
Post #190

#REMEMBERTHEBUSTER

Member No.: 5,980
Team:
Favourite Style: Kuru Kuru

Have you toyed with the idea of a 1uzfe swap with ITB's?

+Quote Post
Brandon
post Jun 29 2014, 05:07 AM
Post #191

Pixel Master

Member No.: 45,529
Team:

ITB's are expensive & 1UZ are originally supposed to be auto so you need tranny adapter & a whole clutch kit & flywheel for like z33 or 240, and 240 stuff sucks.

It gets expensive, turned me away from building a manual ls fo hunnit

This post has been edited by Brandon : Jun 29 2014, 05:08 AM

+Quote Post
Kevin
post Jun 29 2014, 09:36 PM
Post #192

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Team:

also stuffing one in an 86? The fabrication cost for everything could be pretty costly. An F20/22 would make more sense if you wanted more immediate power

+Quote Post
Oggy
post Jul 2 2014, 09:40 PM
Post #193

Un-retired

Team:

I considered both of those but decided on something new. I'll be swapping in a Honda K24.

I've considered pretty much everything:

-Turbo 20v: Character of the AE86 lost as far as I'm concerned. It needs to be N/A.
-Beams: 6th gear has the same ratio as T50 5th gear... so useless there. While the engine makes good power stock, there are few tuning options. It's hard to find a good ECU to run the dual VVTi, and even harder to find a tuner.
-2AR-FE (Scion TC engine): GREAT engine, but ZERO aftermarket support. Every TC guy goes turbo, or barely makes over 200hp. Plus its a total shot in the dark as far as swapping it goes. Only Taka has done it.
-V8: Changes the character of the car too much
-F20/F22: Too expensive and very narrow power band

So, I decided on the K24. It's much cheaper and has a much broader power band than the F20, and it has perhaps even greater tuning potential. There are kits available to bolt up the S2000 transmission, since Honda guys have been swapping K's into S2000's for the same reasons I am. The rest of the swap will be similar to a 'normal' F20 swap, which has been done 100's of times before. I will, however, try to do the swap without subframe spacers. I KNOW this is possible because I saw with my own eyes Will Parson's F20 AE86, which could not run subframe spacers due to the FD rules.

Straight out the box, the K24 with provide more power and torque than the 20v, have replacement parts more readily available, and I'll have the dreamy S2000 transmission behind it. What really sold me on this engine though is its potential. All-motor K24 builds are common in the Honda world, and 300+ N/A HP is a perfectly attainable goal for a K setup.

So yeah, a 300 horse AE86, that's still N/A, has torque, and is entirely unique (I've only seen one other K-swapped AE86 and that was a turbo FD car.) When done, this thing should kill STI's haha.

Timeframe: I plan on getting all the body work done and having the car ready for paint by the end of the summer. I all plan on finishing off the interior and getting the car running again by then. Research and planning will continue until winter, when the 20v will be pulled and sold complete, and the K24 will be swapped in. I'll be running it in a close to stock configuration (stock ECU) at first, then building it into a monster over time.

PS: I'd still get to have my ITB's and the K series doesn't sound nearly as s**tty as an H or B series.

This post has been edited by Oggy: Jul 2 2014, 09:42 PM

+Quote Post
Kevin
post Jul 2 2014, 10:34 PM
Post #194

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Team:

your trans and drive shaft will need to go to a good home
luckily I have a good home
interested in seeing how this turns out

+Quote Post
Faяaп.
post Jul 3 2014, 04:16 AM
Post #195

Ah ye boy.

Member No.: 53,125
Team:
Software Used: Photoshop

dis guy gonna put a cr-v engine in his 86 :s

But seriously, people are swapping engine from the accord/cr-v into s2000's? The more you know.

+Quote Post
Noodles
post Jul 3 2014, 08:18 AM
Post #196

Tuning Legend

Member No.: 39,088
Team:

meaan

vteck 86 wot

+Quote Post
Daniel.
post Jul 3 2014, 01:16 PM
Post #197

Custom member title

Member No.: 26,306
Team:

QUOTE (Faяaп. @ Jul 3 2014, 06:16 AM) *
dis guy gonna put a cr-v engine in his 86 :s

But seriously, people are swapping engine from the accord/cr-v into s2000's? The more you know.

there's different 'iterations' of the k24, the one in the crv only has like 160hp (IMG:style_emoticons/default/toung.gif) the one in the accord/tsx has like 200hp though. and the platform is really good for tuning, as Oggy said.

Kevin should get a Honda engine aswell

+Quote Post
uiui
post Jul 3 2014, 06:19 PM
Post #198

~

Member No.: 45,784
Team:

Vtec just kicked in yo man this is going to be good

+Quote Post
Kevin
post Jul 4 2014, 02:17 AM
Post #199

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Team:

QUOTE (Daniel. @ Jul 3 2014, 06:16 AM) *
Kevin should get a Honda engine aswell

I should not and will not
I'm a purist. I respect other builds but mine will maintain brand engines. I'm still swapping a supercharged MR2 4agze, but never a honda engine. And I don't need a lecture on how there are better engines out there, It's still how I wanna do things lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/toung.gif)
But Oggy's got some cool idea it's be awesome to see this happen

+Quote Post
Daniel.
post Jul 4 2014, 02:22 AM
Post #200

Custom member title

Member No.: 26,306
Team:

QUOTE (Kevin @ Jul 4 2014, 04:17 AM) *
I should not and will not
I'm a purist. I respect other builds but mine will maintain brand engines. I'm still swapping a supercharged MR2 4agze, but never a honda engine. And I don't need a lecture on how there are better engines out there, It's still how I wanna do things lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/toung.gif)
But Oggy's got some cool idea it's be awesome to see this happen

I knew that you were going to say exactly those things, that's why I said it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/toung.gif)

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 07:51 PM