Pixel Cars
Welcome, Guest.

> Welcome to Pixel Car Art

Register to view rest of the forum Hello and welcome to Pixel Car Art. Like most other online communities you must Register to view the rest of the forum or post in our community. This is a simple, free process that does not require alot of information.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Help Topics.
11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oggy's 86
Oggy
post Aug 29 2013, 06:49 AM
Post #1

Un-retired

Group: Members
Member No.: 58,899
Team:
Software Used: Gimp
Favourite Style: Scaled

So typically I go and spam the 'what car are you obsessing about' thread whenever I have an update on my car search, so I figured I should just get make my own thread. Hopefully it will get more interesting in the coming months.

Anyway, I've been steadily stashing away hunnids to put towards a car, and I'm up to about $7,500. Ideally I'd like to spend around $5,000 max on the actual car, and the rest on goodies.

At first, I planned on buying a cheap FD and fixing it up, but there was really nothing it my price range that ran and had a clean title. In fact there was nothing close. So I gave up.

Definitely for the best, because I know I wouldn't enjoy owning an FD beat up enough to be worth $5k.

Currently I'm thinking AE86 hatch or 240sx hatch. I'm willing to go anywhere in the country to find something clean and rust free, since the east coast + vintage jap steel generally doesn't end well.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 240, only because a very thorough search for an 86 didn't turn up anything reasonable. It's hard to find a clean rust free hatch, period, but to find one reasonably priced is a whole different animal. Basically, it would take everything I have saved (and that's if I manage to find one).

The closest I got was with an SR5 that is fairly clean (clean enough for me to buy and be happy with) but the price is just way too much for an SR5. For my entire $7500 I wouldn't even be able to finish the GTS conversion, let alone start actually adding any personal touches.

I'm about to email this guy, and try to find out if the car is a clean as I think. Then I'll update the thread. The price seems decent, a flight to Dallas is only $120, and the drive back is 26 hrs. Do-able in a weekend.

So, that's the saga so far. Hopefully it won't be too long before I can start documenting a build. And not just searching endlessly.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Noodles
post Aug 29 2013, 07:31 AM
Post #2

Tuning Legend

Member No.: 39,088
Team:
Software Used: Paint
Favourite Style: Kuru Kuru

Yis yis sounds good

Thats like, 11000 here i think

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Aug 29 2013, 02:57 PM
Post #3

ADMINS = FAGS

Member No.: 43,394
Team:

At first, I planned on buying a cheap FD and fixing it up, but there was really nothing it my price range that ran and had a clean title. In fact there was nothing close. So I gave up.

buy a molested one and swap an ls1

+Quote Post
Daniel.
post Aug 29 2013, 04:17 PM
Post #4

Custom member title

Member No.: 26,306
Team:

>auto

bro you need a manuél

excuse-moi I didn't read the other topic

Good luck broski

This post has been edited by Daniel.: Aug 29 2013, 04:27 PM

+Quote Post
uiui
post Aug 29 2013, 04:25 PM
Post #5

~

Member No.: 45,784
Team:
Favourite Style: Both

Manual not manuel he don't need a guy

+Quote Post
Daniel.
post Aug 29 2013, 04:28 PM
Post #6

Custom member title

Member No.: 26,306
Team:

QUOTE (uiui @ Aug 29 2013, 06:25 PM) *
Manual not manuel he don't need a guy

Don't ruin my jokes please

+Quote Post
Oggy
post Aug 29 2013, 07:05 PM
Post #7

Un-retired

Team:

Posted a WTB thread on Club4AG a little while back and heard back from someone today. The guy has a fully converted SR5 hatch with a decent amount of goodies (coils, etc). He is asking around $6k. I am waiting on pics and some more information to see if it is worth what he is asking.

Kinda on the fence between 86 and 240, I love both. The 240 in Type-X spec and the 86 in old school Running Free/Goodline spec are just gorgeous. I just don't know if i can justify $5-$6k for a far from perfect 86 when I could find a near perfect 240 for $2-$3k.

Edit: @Daniel sounds like you already figured this out, but I decided I don't care about the auto because I want to swap the engine out anyway, and I'd get a 5spd with the engine.

This post has been edited by Oggy: Aug 29 2013, 07:07 PM

+Quote Post
THK
post Aug 29 2013, 07:08 PM
Post #8

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Member No.: 4,466
Team:
Software Used: Photoshop

QUOTE (Daniel. @ Aug 29 2013, 06:17 PM) *
>auto

bro you need a manuél

(IMG:http://gadgets.boingboing.net/filesroot/icon_cover2_nov26,0.jpg)

Yes?

+Quote Post
Faяaп.
post Aug 29 2013, 07:47 PM
Post #9

Ah ye boy.

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 53,125
Team:
Software Used: Photoshop

I think an 86 has more of a classy factor than the 240

I see way too many s-series even in canada owned by yoloswag teens

I think if your planing to build a simple clean car done right, the AE will get more appreciation

I'm not even into these cars/tuning styles but I'd much rather see an 86. If anything tho test drive several and see what you really truly want

+Quote Post
Nikola
post Aug 29 2013, 08:01 PM
Post #10

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 60,466
Team:
Favourite Style: N/A

Well if i were in your position i'd get a 240 because it's newer and i like how the type x looks, and even though it's newer and more powerful, it's not more expensive
Also i think buying a stock car and modifying it yourself is cooler than buying someone else's project car.

+Quote Post
Swift
post Aug 29 2013, 08:19 PM
Post #11

Have Fun & Enjoy the Ride

Member No.: 57,828
Team:

Personally, I would choose the 240. It's a hard choice, yet you don't see 240's in good, clean shape. Most have been f**ked over and whored out. This should, in turn, make a clean, almost completely stock 240 that much more unique.

I've always had a soft spot for an 86. Although I don't see too many of them getting riced out like 240's. Yet, the 86 is older than the S13. So you would seem to think that 86's would be more valuable against an S13.
I look for reliability when browsing through car sales. I like to preserve things.
But that's just my opinion.
You choose what you think is best for you.

This post has been edited by Swift: Aug 29 2013, 08:28 PM

+Quote Post
NismoZ57
post Aug 29 2013, 08:27 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 59,829
Team:
Software Used: Other

the 240 is a good find, not very molested and the only problem is the auto box. I found a clean S13 'vert a while back with an automatic too. If that falls through, try to focus more on an AE86. They're cheaper, less often molested & drifted, and have a hell of a nice interior without those stupid automatic seat belts. Plus the engine sounds nicer.

This post has been edited by NismoZ58: Aug 29 2013, 08:28 PM

+Quote Post
Oggy
post Aug 29 2013, 09:43 PM
Post #13

Un-retired

Team:

Wow thanks for the replies guys. It seems as if all of us are kind of on the same page.

Faran, I know what you mean about the classy factor. I think the 86 is getting to that age where it stops looking dated and starts looking vintage (I mean to non-car people, anyway.) The 240 looks a lot more modern but not new. The interior especially looks really dated.

Nick I totatally agree about buying a stock car rather than a project. I like the idea of getting the car the same way it came from the factory and doing all the work myself to make sure it's done right. I mean, even an aftermarket radio can turn out ot be a nightmare if the PO didn't do a good job.

Swift I like you thinking. Most AE86's are either in s**tty condition with peeling paint and sagging USDM bumpers, or clean panda paint with JDM bumpers and the owners choice of 15" rim. Most 240's seem to either be stock and beat to s**t, or modified and beat to s**t.

Nismo the auto bothered me more at first but a lot less now. I'll get a new tranny with whatever swap I choose, and there are just a few more parts to buy to fully convert the car to manual. The hard part will be dealing with the auto until I have the time to start the swap.

Take a look at these two build threads from Damon and Kyle on Zilvia. These two builds are my inspiration. Both very clean, simple builds, focused on quality. That's what I want to strive for, regardless if I'm building an 86 or 240.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Aug 30 2013, 02:52 AM
Post #14

ADMINS = FAGS

Member No.: 43,394
Team:

(IMG:http://images57.fotki.com/v505/photos/2/47612/9786173/13-vi.jpg)

KING OF DOPE

+Quote Post
Oggy
post Aug 30 2013, 03:25 AM
Post #15

Un-retired

Team:

Staggered TE's are so f**king dope. I wouldn't change a damn thing.

+Quote Post
Noodles
post Aug 30 2013, 03:39 AM
Post #16

Tuning Legend

Member No.: 39,088
Team:

what if you do a 180 like a 86

insta-win

+Quote Post
Brandon
post Aug 31 2013, 06:50 AM
Post #17

Pixel Master

Member No.: 45,529
Team:

I'm glad you're going to shell out the extra $$ for a car instead of buying a piece of s**t then attempting to make it rad. Like all the dumbd**k 240 kids down here. (And me, I was an idiot.)

I mean yeah it's cool to build something and thrash it or whatever, but there's a fine line between having an actual nice presentable daily/drifter and a piece of s**t lol. When I'm able to I'm def. shelling out the extra money for an FC in f**kING GOOD condition. Maybe not showroom on the outside, cause I could give a f**k, bodywork is hella easy and I like it, but like rotary-nerd-owned knows-every-inch-of-the-13b $4000 condition.

And either car you decide on you'll get a cool ride. I really would like an ae86 coupe but f**k dude, I wouldn't be able to handle the slow personally lol. Not like 240's are fast... haha

This post has been edited by Brand0n: Aug 31 2013, 06:51 AM

+Quote Post
Kevin
post Sep 1 2013, 05:51 AM
Post #18

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 36,235
Team:
Favourite Style: Both

yea the 86 has always been tops in my book
Its just a drivers car.
doesn't need to be whored out with mods to be fun
can take a bit of a beating but goes back together easy
a lot of professionals talk about how easy it is to drive
and they make great DD/Track day cars.

Don't get me wrong, the s13/14s are great tuning cars cause they are also easy
but they have trouble living up to their social hypes
The 86 fits perfectly, as a light weight car that can carve corners better than most domestics

My guy bonked on me so im gonna hunt, think i'll save until January or Feb to start looking again...

+Quote Post
Brandon
post Sep 3 2013, 11:23 PM
Post #19

Pixel Master

Member No.: 45,529
Team:

QUOTE (_Kevin_ @ Aug 31 2013, 10:51 PM) *
doesn't need to be whored out with mods to be fun

This. Everyone needs more of this

+Quote Post
Oggy
post Sep 8 2013, 07:50 PM
Post #20

Un-retired

Team:

I may have found the holy grail. One owner red 240sx SE Fastback, garaged all its life, 36k miles. 100% stock. VERY fairly priced. Sent the seller an email, if I don't hear back by tomorrow I'm just going to call them. Only flaw is the auto tranny, but I'll swap it. It's not like I'm going to find another one with a 5spd in this condition.

I was also contacted by a guy selling the demo car for his ae86 restoration shop. It's an SR5 hatch but should be properly clean.

We'll see what happens (IMG:style_emoticons/default/eager.gif) If everything goes perfectly I'll be on a plane Friday going to pick up the 240, but that is assuming the car hasn't been sold already.

Btw, my plan for the 240 is pretty simple. Phase one would be to replace all wear parts, bushing, hoses, etc, JDM half and half indicators, and after that just fix what needs fixing. After that is done, I'd look into swapping the tranny.

My dream would be to get coils and wats for it too, but that would kill the budget for phase two, which would be to start collecting parts for the 'real' build.

This post has been edited by Oggy: Sep 8 2013, 07:56 PM

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:45 PM